Wednesday 22 September 2010

A Day of Mixed Emotions

Today is one of mixed emotions. Two years ago today I said goodbye to my baby girl, Sheba, who crossed Rainbow Bridge at around 11am after suffering two strokes, the loss of the use of her back legs, incontinence and doggy dementia in the space of two years....and then finally the onset of liver disease. It was then I had to make the hardest decision of my life - to let her go. And I still miss her.

A year later I created my very first scrap kit in her honour and it went into stores and on sale a year ago today - "Love is Four Paws". As a tribute to my baby girl I am placing this kit on sale for $1 FOR TODAY ONLY (22nd September) in all my stores.

But with today also comes some just as sad news. Most of you know Susan of Tootypup Scraps. We have been friends for eons - long before either of us started designing. Her design name comes from her puppy dog, Tootypup, who is 17 and a half years old. Sadly, on Monday Susan received the devastating news that Tooty has the advanced stages of cancer - pancreatic and the most aggressive form. And after watching Tooty struggle and the fluid build up in her back legs, which ultimately put too much pressure on her heart, Susan made the heartbreaking decision to let her go. She rang the vet this morning and tomorrow at 12.30pm Australian EST Tooty will cross Rainbow Bridge and join my Shebee there.

I am deeply saddened by this because I remember all too well the pain of not only losing them but having to make that decision. Our loyal companions do not want to leave us until we are ready to let them go, so we must make the decision and allow them to go. Shebee would not leave until I gave her the OK. And she passed quickly and peacefully, but she lives on in our hearts and our memories forever. Just as Tooty will for Susan. The pain will be excruciating at first, as I remember all too well, but it does ease. And the love of another four-legged friend always helps ease that pain, for they are themselves the best therapy known to mankind.

So today, I remember my baby Shebee and honour her memory and ask her to keep a place warm for Tooty who will join her tomorrow. RIP girls - we love you around the world and back again!

Cheers
Stina

No comments:

Post a Comment