Saturday 24 April 2010

A Special Tribute



My neighbour called this evening with the sad news that her beloved dachshund had passed away. As soon I heard her voice I could tell right away something was wrong and my immediate thought was - one of the dogs or the cat. She loves her menagerie of pets (which includes birds, ducks, chooks etc. as well as 3 dogs and a cat) as I love my pooch. She came home yesterday from work and found her 14 year old girl laying peacefully on one of the other dogs' bed. She had not long passed, and as frail as she had been getting, nothing ever prepares you for the shock of it actually happening.

I have lived here just over 6 years now and I have known this little dog all that time. She was only tiny and when I met them I thought she was just a puppy - that is how small she was. Cindy was a little darling, the runt of the litter, but an affectionate and loveable little girl. She didn't like men, children or anything boisterous, and just loved a cuddle. We often joked that she didn't need legs - she had mummy. She was just under 3kg which was tiny but in her favour made it easier to carry around - which she was rather accustomed to. During her time she had seen the comings and goings of many other animals, but in the last couple of years had to endure the arrival of two new much younger and very boisterous maltese terriers - each respectively. And she hated them on sight! lol

I grew very fond of Cindy and often used to spend time cuddling her and pottering the yard with her and her "mummy". I am not a little dog person generally, as I usually find them too yappy for my liking but Cindy had a pathetic charm we used to say - she had certainly mastered the art of pathetic looks and if it were an Olympic event she would win hands down. lol But it was part of her charm and what made her so loveable and unique.

When my neighbour called me with the news this evening I was shocked, and very saddened, as I was rather fond of dear Cindy. I know when losing a pet there is nothing one can do to ease the pain - it is like a part of the family has died, or a part of you has been ripped out of you. I knew there was nothing I could to ease my neighbour's pain, but there was something I could do - as a small gesture to let her know I was thinking of her and that I understand. So I rummaged through my collection of photos on disc, and found the ones I had of Cindy and using my scrap kit "Puppy Love", I made a little card in tribute to a lost friend. It's not much, I know, but it's but a small token to show I understand.

And I know that Cindy will always be missed by all those who loved her.

No comments:

Post a Comment