Sunday 11 April 2010

Why is it...?

Why is it that when you reformat and reinstall something ALWAYS has to NOT work the way it always has done??! I have been using IE8 since it was released, and of course I reinstalled it. But suddenly the right click option to "open in new tab" a new link has disappeared! And try as I might - googling and reading others' suggestions - I could NOT get it back. It was driving me insane. Had that been the only thing I could have lived with it. Though I do use the open in new tab right click option a lot.

But one of the biggest problems I had prior to this, even before I reformatted, was Gmail. I came to the conclusion it was an IE8 issue, when I discovered I could fly it fine in Chrome. For a long time I have never had any success in sending emails from the Gmail website - I had no idea why this happened, i just did. Whenever I tried to respond to an email or write an email, I'd click SEND and it would then tell me "You are sending an email without any body or text. Are you sure you wish to continue?" HELLO!! I just spent half an hour typing an email and it was staring me in the face - I could see! But it would say there was no body or text. And when I sent anyway, the email would always go through blank. I never had any idea why it would do this. Then I opened it in Chrome one day and it worked perfectly. So I concluded it was IE8. THAT was not my only issue either. Recently, I couldn't access the Spam or Trash links in Gmail, so therefore I couldn't empty either of them. Gmail has a drop down link titled "4 More" which you click on and it drops down to reveal Spam, Trash and a couple of other links. When I clicked on "4 More" it would do nothing and my status bar would then say there was an error. Yeah...like it wouldn't work! That drove me insane!

So when I found I had suddenly lost my right click link option to "open in a new tab" today after reformatting and reinstalling I decided I was going back to IE7 and see how that behaved. Well, I'm happy to say it all works fine. I have my right click option to "open in new tab" again, plus I can also access the Spam and Trash folders in Gmail and even better - my emails are not sending blank from Gmail!! So as much as I liked IE8, there are a few bugs that didn't like me or gmail or whatever else it decided to take a disliking to. I have to say, I miss the Favourites Bar though. I used that all the time. Had all my regular favourites stored there and with one click I could go to the site. Now I have to open up the favourites folder and search through tons of links for what I want which is a pain. lol But I guess it is a small price to pay to have everything else working again.

But again, I have to ask? Why do things never go back to the way they were after a reformat and reinstallation? GRRRRRR.

OK, that's my venting done for the day....lol

Cheers
Stina

No comments:

Post a Comment